Sunday, June 29, 2008

Another Week Begins

It is the last Sunday of June - how can July start this week? I guess I should be happy the summer is flying by as everyday gone is one step closer to me being finished with my chemo protocol. Today was a bit challenging but I have now figured out it is because I am stepping down the steroids and have stopped the Emend (anti-nausea med). Tomorrow will most likely be more of the same but I hope by Tuesday to turn the tide to feeling better. However the weather report for the July 4th weekend has definitely got me down - scattered thunderstorms each day!

This weekend was interesting. I attended my aunt's birthday celebration and was happy to see so many of my family and friends. When we left I found a small package on my windshield: a gift bag with TO: JANE CLARE on it made of cut out letters and decorated with flowers. There was no "FROM:". I pulled out the tissue and nestled within was a necklace of St. Agatha, the patron saint over women who have breast cancer. I searched for a note, a card, anything that might give me some sign as to who left me this gift. My aunt Karen and I shared a laugh when we discussed it later saying I had actually received two gifts - one the necklace itself and two, the mystery giver to ponder over so as to forget my daily ills!

So to my gift giver I say THANK YOU! St. Agatha hangs around my neck as I type this. I truly appreciate you thinking of me!

We left the party before cake since I can't eat it (Sugar just does not taste good or do nice things to me!) and stopped at home for some down time before going on to Laurie and Rodger's annual 4th bash. I knew my meltdown was immminent but wanted to at least say "hello". Greg graciously returned me home when I needed to leave.

I awoke this morning feeling "okay" and went out to lose myself to the mindless task of weeding. Arming myself with Ipod, hat, sunscreen and bug spray I did what I could to tackle our hillside. We had a quick visit from Erin who supplied us with two incredible meat lasangas. Greg and I shared some for lunch with a salad - meat and dark leafy greens, I am trying to get that iron any way I can! (Again, can I mention how great my friends are?) The weather prevented me from making further forays into the weeds but provided a perfect environment for a much needed nap. I suppose it is easier for me to "let go" when I have an excuse such as rain...

I see a very early bedtime for me tonight. Karen brought us some pictures from Lorna's party tonight and boy I am really getting bald. It is depressing as I really liked my buzzcut and it now means I have to wear my hats, scarves and maybe even my wig. Sigh... At least my port has settled down!

1 comment:

jeanie said...

This message is for Jane and her family of friends. I was recently
surfing (as we all do from time to time) and came across a terrific
website-http://www.quiltforacause.org/donate.html
I hope it comes up for any sewing
enthusiast, quilter, etc. out there
that may be reading Jane's blog.
It's called "Quilt for a Cause" and
any quilts created and donated will be auctioned off, all proceeds
going to the Cause. click on website for further info if interested. Just thought I'd pass it on to other creative individuals. Note the $$$ that they have raised at the past auctions and the number of quilts received.
Much Love & Many Prayers