Monday, June 9, 2008

GI Jane






I am finally feeling exactly like myself again - sure I tire easily , but overall I feel good, more like me. Of course this is all in time for my next treatment which will be taking place this Thursday.

Greg and I had a wonderful weekend! We started on Friday with the Eastern Effects company day. Kudos to everyone one who helped make the day the great success it was. We started the morning out at the Bronx Zoo, took a late afternoon schooner ride on the Imagine down to the Statue of Liberty and capped the evening with dinner at Hill Country BBQ.

Saturday was hot! It was June 7th and WHAM - SUMMER! We had about 65 folks coming by to share in our celebration of life and to watch me shave my head. I have attached a few photos here; Will upload the video clip ASAP. The day was one I will never forget. I was feeling good and I was surrounded by people I love - doesn't get much better than that! My good friend Nancy who owns the salon where I normally get my hair cut, colored,etc. (she is the one who helped me get jet black hair!) graciously agreed to come to our party and do the honors. Greg went 1st. This man is still amazing me daily in how supportive he is being during this time in our lives. I was the one to actually shave his head! He looks awesome: almost scary (in a good way!) I do not worry that anyone will mess with him the subway!

It was soon my turn and I wanted to play Britney and do it myself but after the 1st swipe I handed the clippers off to a professional. It was relatively quick. I admit there were more than a few times when I would see my hair falling to the ground and my heart would stop or I would catch a glimpse of some one's face silently watching me be buzzed and my heart would stop and my head would start screaming STOP!!! THIS IS MY HAIR!!! but then then I would quickly remember "oh yeah, I choose to do this -it was going to happen anyway"! When the clippers were quiet, my brother Bill yelled "Hey Sinead" so I figured it could not be that bad. As I shook the hair from my face and rose to thundering applause, I felt - well, lighter! Not just outside by inside too. It was done. I had shaved my head and I was okay, in fact, after feeling how soft the "down" on my head was and peeking in the nearest mirror, I was more than okay. I knew I could walk down the street with head raised high. And, yes I know I will eventually lose my buzzcut but I am ready. I have the scarves, the hats and the wigs. We had so much fun trying on so many different looks Saturday that I figure the next six months will be the same. I can decide what my look will be. I can still walk around and not worry that I look sick. I can walk around and I can just be Jane. Although for now, call me GI Jane.... I am rockin' my cammos!

My brother Chris and our dear friend Rodger also followed suit. What a night! I cannot express in words my gratitude and love for all of you who helped me make Saturday a party, with you by my side I know I can say without a doubt, F*CK CANCER!!!

2 comments:

jeanie said...

Dear Jane,
What can I say?! What a great celebration. The best part, you
took control of your own destiny.
I remember when I would help Aunt
Lorna "babysit" you and Billy. We had just as much fun as you did.
I thought it then, and I still think it now, you are a beautiful
girl! If anyone can still look stunning with a shaved head it is you, Jane.
Keep up the good work!
Much love and Many Prayers,
Jeanie

MaryRachel said...

Gosh! We wanted to be there... >_<
I am so glad you have sooo much support...perhaps more than you can ever know.

My friend Carol (the astrologer who sent the hair story) has you in her thoughts, too...she is currently caring for a friend who has also been diagnosed with the same dis-ease.

You are such a beautiful, loving and inspiring person. I truly admire your courage, strength, positive attitude and free flowing giving nature...always have and I always will! ^__^

I love you sooooo much and I am blessed to have you as a sister!

Both you and my incredible and caring brother Greg are continuously in my positive thoughts...you are both perfect in my heart! ^_~

Biggest LOVE and compassion to you both! LIFE RULES!!!

Mary ^_^

oh yea...can't wait 'till ya come 'round...Switzerland definitely heals mind/body/spirit plus i heard that yodeling brings intense release.... ^o^