Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Port Pain

Well the day started off great: went running with Jess (3 miles) and felt really good. Headed off to the office still without head cover; still not ready to make the leap!

About 1/2 way through the day I noticed my port was feeling uncomfortable; to the point where I mentioned to a co-worker that I thought I would call my doctor. Call my doctor I did; 1st my oncologist where I spoke to Eileen (my nurse Beth was out today)who advised me to call the surgeon who implanted it. At this point I was beginning to freak myself out as every time I turned my head I could feel something jab my in the neck. It was a cruel reminder of exactly how long the tubing of my port actually is! I called Dr. Hitotis but she was in surgery so I spoke to her nurse. She actually called Dr. Hitotis at the hospital and advised I should come in to the office (The NYU Cancer Center) tomorrow. I agreed, hung up and made the fatal error of googling "chemo port pinching"... I promptly called back the nurse and asked point blank - "um, could I possibly die from whatever is causing this pinching?" She assured me that if the doctor thought I was in any immediate harm she would have referred me directly to the nearest ER. Sometimes too much info is not a good thing!

So I am still freaked as I am to have chemo on Thursday morning and I do not want that schedule to change but worry if something is indeed wrong with my port they would want to surgically reposition it. Oh, good thing I have an anti-anxiety medication to get me through the night!

2 comments:

jeanie said...

Jane Clare,
I hope that your port is cooperating with your body this am.
I can remember with John's, the
cleaning process, the tedium involved in keeping it from infection. Crazy story, a roommate of John's at Mt Sinai actually went swimming in the Hudson River with his port (at the
time was called a Hickman Catheter)& wondered why he
ended up in the hosp w/infection!?!
I think that by staying on top of it, you are way ahead of the game.
Hope all goes well today and again
on Thursday.
Much Love & Many Prayers.
Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Did your port ever stop pinching? I got a port about 2 weeks ago and every now and then (usually extending my arm or picking something up) I feel a sharp pinch. I have no idea if its having a problem or not. Had my first chemo treatment and they raved about how good the port looked.