Thursday, July 10, 2008

No More Red Devil!



Treatment number four is over - no more Adrimycin (this is the red devil - it really is bright red!)/Cytoxin cocktails - WOO HOO!!!! I now move onto Taxol starting 7/24. So one phase of chemo is done, over, complete.

My friend Lauren accompanied me today and kept the discussion so lively that time just flew by. It was great to have her there and hear of her upcoming wedding plans (she is gettign married 10/4 - a great day to be married on!) and new home - such positive things; her happiness is infectious!

We met a woman who was there also being infused. She was totally bald and was sporting an incredible tattoo on the back of her head so of course I had to inquire - it was henna. (Chemo heads are sensitive heads!) She said "she got tired of people asking her if she was sick" so figured the tattoo might make being bald look intentional. I loved it! You will notice in photo above I am sporting my wig. I'll do the big reveal once I am sporting a totally shiny dome; this patchy stuff is none too attractive! So I am thinking that bat symbol henna tattoo might be cool.... sport it opening night next week.. ..yes, I know - Deep down I am just a comic book loving geek!

This woman then went on to tell us that her husband of 12 years could not handle what was happening to her and left her two months ago at which point she broke down. I said she needed a hug but I was all hooked up so Lauren gave her one. Lauren then made her laugh by mentioning "we are from Jersey, give me his address; I know people". All in all it made me realize how good I really have it! I have a great support network! My family is nearby; I have friends who continue to impress me with their cooking prowess as they provide me with the so appreciated gift of home-cooked meals; and I have a husband who has said more than once he will stand by me through this no matter what - in fact he says, "We will get through this".

On a bad note, my iron levels fell again putting me in a critical phase. So, I get to one again use Medco's specialty pharmacy and will receive (if my prior auth goes through) Aranesp to help increase my red blood cell count. My nurse Beth cautioned me about running too fast as one effect my low levels could have would be to make me pass out... lovely!

I hate closing with bad news but yesterday we received Tacoma's tumor results. Our poor pup has a very aggressive form of cancer so we are taking her to the canine oncologist next week. Please continue to keep her in your prayers!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

#4 DONE! And, no more of the evil devil. So proud of you! You look wonderful and I love your wig. And, yes the support system is they key ingredient to all this. Your moving right along and before you know it, this will all be behind you. It has been 11 months since my last treatment and I thought it would never end. It does, and your hair will grow back and there will be so many more marathons to run in!
- Feel good...Jen

jason s said...

Keep it up chica! It was awesome to see you and greg last week!
-j