Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Iron Man, E.T. and Me!!!

I can proudly say I now have something in common with two great Hollywood icons: Iron Man and ET (Thanks Brian and Amy!) - yes we three all have something implanted in our chest wall! I inquired about making mine glow but the nurses mumbled something about "up the anesthesia..." and that was the last thing I heard!

So as you can surmise, I have successfully survived having my Mediport implanted yesterday. It was a very long day - my thanks to John and Greg for waiting it out with me. I was told to be at NYU by 10:30, seems surgery was scheduled for 12:15 but I did not get wheeled in until almost 3pm... and I had no coffee that morning or food/water all day - so I was a bit cranky on top of nervous about having a piece of plastic and metal implanted in my body! (Okay no piercing comments!) So aside from feeling like I have been hit several times by a very large truck - I am okay. I have been assured by my surgeon and her staff that what I am feeling is completely normal and I am in fine shape to begin chemotherapy tomorrow. I am not quite sure how they define normal but I am very happy I live in the 21st century and have wonderful things like pain medication! Last night was quite difficult but I anticipate with each hour that passes I'll feel better and better.

So - you must have received my incredibly long email which directed you to my blog. Special shout out to my dear friend Ted (TAL - dig the jet black hair!) for assisting me with this endeavor and to Jen Marks for giving me the inspiration to do so. You may learn more about me than you care to know but at minimum you can get the latest low-down on my battle against the beast! Fair warning, I have heard that certain operating systems are displaying my blog template a bit odd so it may appear difficult to read. My apologies!

Once again I thank you all for the continued support. I admit I am a bit fearful about jumping off the cliff tomorrow but I know the sooner I begin therapy, the sooner it will be over and all of this will be behind me so I can look back and say "Cancer? Been there, done that, beat it!!!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck today "jumping off the cliff"! It's treatment day #1 and I'm quite sure you are the #1 strongest person that I know!! Stronger than Iron Man, or even the Hulk. You're a super-hero to Laurie & I (and many others). So, JUMP, I say. You'll land back on your feet quicker than Superman.

Good luck and lots of love, Laurie & Rodger

PS: Great job on this blog! It displays perfectly, by the way.