Wednesday, May 14, 2008

5/12 Update

We are almost at the midpoint of May... it seems like just yesterday when I went for my mammogram on 3/17 - what a whirlwind of weeks I have had!

I met with my oncologist today and really, really liked her. (It doesn't hurt to see her Harvard degree on the wall either....) She spent a very long time with me and answered all of my (and my mom's) questions.

Here is the lowdown - it ain't pretty, but this too shall pass.

Seems I am looking at 6 months of treatment. While my hormone receptors are good which means I am a candidate for hormone therapy after chemo and radiation (Tamoxifen), we reviewed my pathology report and she explained that I had a very fast growing cancer which is good for chemo as the chemo drugs attack the rapidly dividing cells. The bad side of the report was that because the cells were growing so fast it is very possible they may have lodged elsewhere - I had as you know, lymph node involvement, but also had high grade microinvasion -this means the cancer cells were breaking into my blood vessels which means it was trying to travel. So.....

My first cocktail:

Adriamycin and Cytoxan once every three weeks for four cycles followed by a shot of Neulasta 24 hours later after which I'll move to:

My 2nd mix:

Taxol weekly for 12 treatments.

Topped off by 6 weeks of radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks.

I have agreed to be part of a clinical trial also where they are testing the utilization of Avastin in non-metastatic cancer to prevent recurrence. I have said all along that I want folks to learn from my experience and this is a perfect way for me to help countless others if they can prove this drug effective. I may get it or may not but have nothing to lose. (To my Medco friends - the study picks up the cost of this specialty drug; someone be sure to let the powers that be know that I am helping out the bottom line by controlling drug costs - haha!)

So this week I need to have a series of scans done (I thought had everyone possible done!) I need a PET scan and and EKG along with an echocardiogram and, oh yeah - I need to have my Mediport implanted in my chest - boy doesn't that sound like fun? My hope is to start treatment the week AFTER Memorial Day so at least I can enjoy that weekend!

Last, yes I will lose my hair along with a myriad of other lovely side effects so standby for an invite to Wigstock 2008 at the Hildebrandt Household -hat or wig required for entry and to cap the evening I'll shave my head - a la Britney Spears... you can all pretend you are paparazzi.... seriously I may have to have one last big "hurrah"!

No comments: