Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Curling?


I am a huge fan of the Olympics. Yes, this is a recent addiction which I think started with the 2006 Torino games when I followed the exploits of Bodie Miller, Apolo Ohno and Shaun White. I then devoured the 2008 summer games in Beijing which helped to distract me from my ongoing medical treatment; it did not hurt that I was a recent convert to the religion of running either - I had new appreciation for the athletes and the training that had brought them to China.

Greg and I were fortunate enough to visit Vancouver in the fall of 2009. We were so impressed with the city, the Sea to Sky highway, Whistler mountain, etc. that we contemplated what life would be like living there - what neighborhood would we want to live in, what could we do for employment; you get the idea. So, we waited for the 2010 Winter games with excitement. Bodie would be back as well as Shaun and Apolo. I was rooting for Lindsey and Hannah - c'mon girls bring home the gold! As a hockey fan I was looking forward to seeing Team USA play, well, play anybody! So we have been watching: horrified by the accident that took the life of a Russian luger, knowing it would be the Great One as the last torch bearer, feeling anxious about Lindsey's injury - "will she or won't she race?", keeping our fingers crossed for Bodie- "just behave this year!" as well as hoping that Apolo Ahno would be remembered for something other than Dancing With the Stars. So far we have not been disappointed: medal count for Team USA as of 7pm 2-16 is 8.

So as we settled down this evening in front of the television to get the latest from the games, we found ourselves watching curling. Were you even aware this was still an Olympic sport? We tried our best to figure out the rules. Not sure how close we came. As we continued to watch I realized the women we watched had made it there without endorsements (Ever see a curler on a box of Wheaties?) and probably without a huge fan base. But they were there, going for the gold. I figured if they can work full time (which according to the announcer they did) and still make an Olympic team than I really have not much to complain about. When I am out there slogging alone through my early morning runs, I'll remember those women sweeping the ice in front of their stone and smile. GO TEAM USA!!!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Janey!!! I saw your request on Facebook, but the dang thing won't let me "accept" the request!!!! It's soooo great to hear from you... I had NO IDEA about what you have gone/are going through. My heart and prayers are with you... You look FABULOUS...as always!!! You don't look any older than you did in high school...biatch! haha! Are you living in Butler? Do you have any children? How is Billy? I am married and have 2 kids: Jack is a little over 2 and Emily is 11 months. I live in Hackettstown... I can't wait to hear back from you!!! My email address is lynn_dana@yahoo.com if you want to email me before I get to accepting on Facebook.. I'll try it again tonight, though. Remember going to the BHS football games and cheering on Rob and Joey? hahahahaaa! I'm so excited to reconnect with you Jane!! My heart and prayers are with you... xoxo, Dana