Thursday, January 8, 2009

Zometa

So, have you ever had the flu so badly you literally crawl to the restroom and then figure, "What the heck, I'll just stay here", as the tile floor is cool against your feverish head and your bedroom seems further away than a 26.2 mile marathon run.... your entire body just and if you coudl lift your arm you would shake your fist at the sky and ask "why me?" Welcome to the after effects of Zometa.

This lovely little drug is being given to me once every six months to help prevent bone loss that could result from my hormone therapy. I returned to NY yesterday afternoon as Zometa is a drug that is infused. It was down right disconcerting to return to the "chemo room" and be hooked up to the same machine that forced boat loads of toxic chemicals into my body for five months. (Noted -the toxic chemicals used to save my life!) In fact I was advised by one of the nurses to never play poker as she could see my distress plainly across my face. I was not alone however, I met a wondeful woman who was going through the same protocol I had been through and was into the end weeks of her Taxol treatment. New to NYC via London, she had an amazing attitude and made me laugh a lot. Her mom was with her as well and so very nice. This woman was so motivated to help others that she makes her own wigs as she was unhappy with those she purchased and figured others were also!

I was warned that Zometa might make me feel bad the following day. Feel bad? I had been through chemo; I am sure it could not be worse. I dutifully took the Advil I was given and Greg met me at the office to drive me home but I felt fine. In fact I felt so good I was able to run! It was around noon when I started to get that feeling - my upper back ached, similar to when I had taken Neulasta but nothing too bad. That was coming.

By 2pm I was shivering. I had chills and pain everywhere - even my teeth ached! It was not a horrible pain but a dull one radiating everywhere from the top of my head to my toes. I made it through a dr. appt. (annual exam) and hobbled to my car. I drove home and quickly changed, set up my laptop and began to work. I realized I could not move all that well, so yes, found myself crawling on the floor to my bed. I feel a wee bit better now but lay on the floor as I type this as my hips hurt when I sit down. I know this is temporary and I do not have the flu but I will never again discount the warnings of my nurses! I hope to feel better come the morning!

No comments: