Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 - finally!

NYRR Emerald Nuts Midnight Run


2008 is now behind us - yeehaw! A new year, a fresh beginning; 2009 holds such promise! I hope to officially close the chapter of my life entitled - "2008, The Year That Started Out Great But Turned Into One Big Nightmare" - and never open it again!

I kicked off 2009 with a brisk (and that is being kind to old Mother Nature!)4 mile jog through Central Park with 5,000 other crazy folks. Jess, Denise, and Joel were runners too and Greg was our ever faithful photographer! It was COLD!!! However knowing what we were facing I dressed in several layers and found it to be not all that bad. Of course, I felt like the Michelin Man or that kid from "The Christmas Story" but it was well worth it!

Greg and I had trekked into the city earlier in the day to pick-up our bibs and t-shirts. While I was in the NYRR offices, one of the volunteers complimented me on my freshly blonde hair. I laughed and thanked her saying I have become accustomed to its ease. She asked what made me cut it - was I just tired of long hair? I explained my lack of choice in the matter and she smiled as she handed me my number - "Obviously you are going to be okay, you are starting 2009 off in a great way." I agreed, "2009 is going to be a MUCH BETTER year!"

As we ran along the dark trail with fireworks exploding overhead I could not help but reflect on the past year. I had started 2008 in a similar fashion, running the Emerald Nuts Midnight Run with Jess and Denise. I tried to recall what I was thinking about early January 1st 2008: about what I thought 2008 would be like, about the plans I had, how I felt. Basically I remember I was planning for the Disney Marathon which would take place later that month as well as thinking about trying to qualify for the 2009 ING Marathon in NYC by participating in the requisite 9 NYRR races. Physically I felt great. I looked forward to a year of running, of working in my garden once the warm weather returned - the possibilities were endless!

I do have some more physician appointments this month but I am confident that 2009 will be a year of clean scans, longer hair (can anyone say extensions?), and a very keen awareness of just how wonderful this thing called life can be. I hope to find a way to volunteer during 2009 outside of the normal awareness walks. I also hope to join the local dragon boat team; a team that is comprised of local survivors who row out on Lake Parsippany. I look forward to being able to spend time with all of our family and celebrate graduations, (Kristen for high school!) weddings, (Lisa and Russ), and milestone birthdays (Maia's 1st).

I look forward to running with friends, trying out the new NYSC in Butler, and using my BOSU (thanks to mom!) I will embrace each and every day I get to walk upon this planet and I will definitely try to be more "green" in all that I do. Maybe I'll even get a hybrid car...

The list is endless but I am filled with hope. I have seen the dark side and I do not plan on visiting again. Next doctor visit is next week. I'll keep you posted! Best wishes to all for a very HAPPY and HEALTHY 2009!

1 comment:

jeanie said...

Jane Clare,
Happy, Healthy 2009!!!!!
It's been a busy few weeks. I had
wanted to tell you since the
"Cookie Saturday" how very much I
enjoyed the day!!! I truly hope to
be invited back in the future.
You looked MARVELOUS!!! I know that this year, 2009 will surely
beat last year-Hands down!! It
sounds to me as if you've got a great outlook and that is Key.
Hope to see you again, very soon.
Until then
Much Love & Many Prayers,
jeanie