Sunday, December 21, 2008

That merry time of year!

I sit in our office gazing out the window at our snow covered yard and the riot of color our Christmas lights create against it. Today is December 21st. Christmas is only 4 days away - unbelievable how fast this year has gone, and I'll say it again: I for one, am very happy to see it go.

While not usually one to wax poetic about peace, love and happiness I can definitely say I feel truly blessed this Christmas season. I have a wonderful family, incredible friends, a place to work that I enjoy, a roof over my head, a clear mammogram and one very patient husband. I have hair again, something to eat every day and warm boots to wear with my big winter coat. I look around and I realize I have so much that is good in my life that my resolution for 2009 will be to be sure to enjoy it. I'll focus less on the things that make me crazy and more on the things that make me smile. I'll do my best to remind my friends - those who carried me through 2008 - just what great people they are. To tell my family that I love them, I could have never sat and typed this without their caring and support this past year. And I will do my best to be more aware; to realize when someone needs a helping hand but may not know who to ask for it.

During the past few weeks walking about with my new take on the buzz cut, I have been approached by women every where - from the grocery store to the nail salon to the hallways at work. Women telling me how much they admire my bravery for wearing such a daring 'do. Sometimes I just smile and say thanks; other times I admit it isn't a style by choice. More often than not these women have been there and share their story with me. They are stories of the shock of diagnosis and the suffering through treatment after treatment and the lovely side effects treatment brings. I have been told stories of hats and hairstyles, support groups and pink everything. Yet, every story has one resounding theme - these women are all filled with hope and a joy for life perhaps I would have never noticed before. They assure me life goes back to normal. They tell me not to forget where I have been but also to not forget to always look to the future. So I am - I might even embrace a Monday morning after all this is Christmas week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jane Clare,
You have always been a joy to know, since you were a baby! Your bright smile lights up any room you enter. Your positive outlook has gotten you through a very bad year and now you face the rest of your fabulous life. As you go forward, please know that there have been many thoughts and prayers sent your way, by those both near and far! Much Love, "Aunt" Ruth