Saturday, December 13, 2008

ALL CLEAR!

I had my 1st post - surgery mammogram yesterday and it was clear! I almost kissed my doctor when she showed me the films!

My day was a crazy one, starting with lab work that I could not get because although I had a prescription, the lab needed a doctor's order. Thankfully we were at the NYU Cancer Center and my surgeon was able to send the order through. So I had four vials of blood drawn, a mammogram, a bone density scan and to top my day, an echo cardiogram. (The tech advised I have a beautiful heart!)

I made a comment aloud, heard by the woman administering my mammogram as I approached the digital machine - "Ah - friend and foe!" She stopped in her tracks and said she had been doing mammograms for years, probably thousands sets of breasts she had squeezed, smashed, & flattened and no one had ever, ever called the machine "friend". I explained - "I had a mammogram in March which found my cancer in an early stage. If it had not found it, I might not have been so lucky." She told me I had the right attitude and that is what she tells all the women who complain about the machine being made by a man (hence my mention of foe...); that while it is not pleasant we should be happy such a device is available to us to help us stay alive. I could not agree more. Dr. Moy who reviewed my films mentioned I should consider discussing annual MRIs or ultrasounds with my surgeon Dr. Shapiro as a young woman (again I could have kissed her!) I have dense tissue and they could be helpful given the location and type of cancer I had.

Boy, do I love saying "had"! So next week I trek back to the cancer center for my one month follow-up after radiation. My skin is slowly starting to look somewhat normal again. My eyelashes are getting longer but staying white - thankfully there is mascara! My hair is also slowly getting longer although I read that the pixie cut is in so I no longer look like someone who was sick, only someone trying to be "edgy" - or so I tell myself every day as I look in the mirror.

I am off to make Christmas cookies, can it be only 12 days away???

No comments: