Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall Begins and the Countdown is On!






How can it be the first day of Autumn already? I suppose we have been a bit busy and have not paid attention to the days passing us by. I enjoy this time of year - crisp days and nights and the vibrant colors that begin to adorn our trees.

I do owe a shout out to my friend Tracey Rodgers-Lenge who was not only my chemo companion last week but also made us some awesome mac'n'cheese as well as gave us several wonderful meals from her husband Phil's pizza place - THANK YOU!!! Tracey can always make me laugh with stories about her two young sons or how it is to balance life as a pharmacist and mom. I had a great day. I realize I say that a lot about my chemo appointments but it is true! My counts were good and once again I had the honor of spending a chunk of time with a friend.

I must also mention the fabulous meals we received recently from Jacqui - her chicken and mac'n'cheese was great and a life saver when we returned home from Disney exhausted and hungry; along with Corrine Brewer who made a mini-Thanksgiving meal which was wonderful and my sister-in-law Christine who treated us to a Greek feast - Thank you all!!!!

Since my counts were good on Thursday we were able to trek on up to one of our favorite places, the Berkshires. We were there to celebrate Scott Levy and Sheryl Victor's wedding. We stayed in our favorite inn, The Red Lion, and spent Friday night at the rehersal dinner listening to good music provided by Scott's brother Kenny and his band "The Wandering Bards" (They play Jersey clubs and are worth a viewing: www.thewanderingbards.com). We retired early and I felt pretty good Saturday morning so we took a walk - I'll post photos once we down load them - but obviously pushed myself a bit as afterwards I needed a nap. We then joined the wedding "camp Day" at Camp Pontiac where we watched the three legged races, etc., joined the BBQ and quite enjoyed the bonfire. The wedding was held yesterday and was simply beautiful. The location was the Lenox Club and everything was just right - the weather, the vibrant colors, the music and food - it was a lovely event and Scott and Sheryl looked really happy.

When we returned home last evening, Christine had sent me an email with the link to a blog of her friend Jen - a fellow Cancer survivor:

(Jen SingerCreator: MommaSaid.net, a Forbes Best of the Web, Author: You're a Good Mom (and Your Kids Aren't So Bad Either) Blogger: Good Grief! for Good Housekeeping and Yahoo Shine)

I urge all of you to read - folks like Jen keep me inspired. I met her in the airport on the way to Disney as she is a Kinnelon resident. Her sense of humor about life was very evident as we spoke about losing our hair, growing it back, blogging,etc. Check it out (you most likely have to cut and paste into your browser as I cannot get the link to work!):

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/mom-of-tweens-the-best-part-of-our-disney-trip-wasn-t-disney-263131/

Only three more weeks of chemo to go! I admit I was really wishing I had hair this weekend. (Bonfires and wigs - not a good match) I do however, get to schedule the removal of my port this week; hooray! That alone should make it a great week!

1 comment:

jeanie said...

Jane Clare,
Happy Autumn to you!!!!
It is a glorious time of year. I have been finding respite at a local lake (Shepherd) off Sloatsburg road. Next time I get there, I must remember my camera. I'd like to keep track of the progression of the leaves. I think that my mom in Tn. may like to see the trees surrounding Shepherd Lake and right now they
(leaves)are still mostly green.
It should prove interesting to see
how quickly the colors become vibrant. Thank you, always, for sharing your stories. I truly enjoy hearing how well you are coming along. Just like the beautiful leaves on the trees. Let your colors shine!
much love & many prayers,
Jeanie