Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Long and The Short of It


It has been an interesting summer so far.  We are in the home stretch: the hot and humid days of August have arrived and the days grow shorter.  Tomorrow marks six weeks post surgery for me.  I feel pretty good but have not healed as quickly as I would have liked.  I still have my stitches, doing ab work is not yet a good thing and I had to skip a triathlon last weekend because I was still experiencing some "side effects" of healing - I will not go into graphic detail but suffice to say my body was readily telling me I was in no shape to swim/bike/run.

Well, that was last week.  I am going to try  again - or is that "tri again"? This weekend brings the Pequannock Tri, a shorter distance tri and one I think manageable.  I say this as I prepare to go practice an open water swim at 9pm with my brother.  Hmm - this should prove interesting.  At least no one will see me struggle in and out of my wetsuit! 

Our kitchen renovation is complete, again I ask myself why I have these types of projects completed while I am home dealing with a complex disease.  In 2008 while in the throes of chemotherapy we had the cabin sandblasted and restained.  I stayed at my mom's.  This go around we ripped down walls, cabinets, the works.  I stayed at my mom's, my dad's and my in-laws.  It is good to have family both nearby and those who live in a summer vacation spot!

While convalescing after surgery and awaiting the dreaded results phone call I decided that if I indeed was going to face chemotherapy once again, I was going to go long first.  Hence the photo above.  Extensions were fun but very hot.  I feel much lighter without them but plan on having them againn soon - perhaps in the cold winter months.

Much to look forward to during these dog days of summer: I'll be seeing the Adams Family on Broadway, visiting with my friend Patrice who is coming to town from Missouri, I'll be honored by the Komen NYC Race for the Cure for once again being one of the top 100 fundraisers - this time for 2009; my 25th (gasp!) high school reunion is being held nearby, I have tickets to Tears fro Fears with Jess and hope to participate in the SheRox Triathlon at the end of the month.  Whew!  I best go hit the lake!!!

No comments: