Tuesday, August 31, 2010

September Already?

I am not quite sure how it got to be August 31st already.  I could swear just yesterday I was looking forward to the weeks of hot sunny weather a normal NJ summer brings; now I am planning out my fall wardrobe and waiting for the return of "school is in" early morning traffic.

The past few weeks have been busy which I guess is why it seems time is flying by.  I have committed to running the Marine Corps Marathon with my brother and friend Jess on Halloween.  So, yes in eight short weeks I'll once again do that crazy 26.2 mile run.  (Note emphasis on "crazy"!)  Training has begun and we are up to 16 miles for our long runs.  Yes, training sucks up a lot of time.

Speaking of training my tri season has come to an end, capped off nicely with me taking home the above pictured souvenir from the inaugural Asbury Park SheRox event.   Greg and I had a fabulous weekend "down at the shore" - thankfully I was not cognizant of the fact that the water I was swimming through for the swim leg of my tri felt like tapioca due to the multitudes of jellyfish, and the beautiful homes of Deal distracted me from registering the miles I pedaled on my bike.  We had wonderful meals at places like Moonstruck, The Boards, Stella Marina and Avenue.  Asbury Park, Long Branch, and Ocean Grove have come a long way since the days of my late teens and early 20's when we would not even stop in town on our way to the beach due to fear of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The weekend was hot and sunny, the beaches packed with Snooki and Situation wanna-bes, the boardwalk full of folks strolling along desperate for an ocean breeze, and in late evening the moon rose up over the ocean a brilliant red-orange orb that slowly faded to rose then to white providing a spectacular show over the water.  Ah summer - how I hate to see you go!

As much as I hate for summer to end, I do admit to truly enjoying the fall.  I love the crisp air and seeing the riot of colors that autumn brings to the trees.  I love wearing sweaters and the smell of the first fire being stoked in neighborhood fireplaces.  September brings many great events - the Komen Race for the Cure, the 2010 Reach the Beach Relay, and the season finale of True Blood. I have one more visit to my oncologist for my final Zometa infusion and that should be it for doctor visits for the year. When I look back at the summer of 2010 I'll recall the incredible weather I had while staying on the Cape; diving through the waves at the Jersey Shore; and the birth of our newest neighbor Sofia Isis Jones.  Surgery seems so long ago, my incision scars are slowly fading from an angry red to light pink, and I have no need to return to the Cancer Center until next year.  Until then I have training to do, holidays and birthdays to celebrate, places to go and people to see - so, "so long summer", I am sure my longing for you will hit just around say March... 

No comments: