Monday, March 22, 2010

It is okay not to be Superwoman


Last week I did something so radical, so scary, so out of character for me that I have to say it was hardest thing I have ever done. It was harder than hearing I had cancer, even harder than being bald or enduring 16 weeks of chemotherapy. Last week I had to give up control. (Those who know me well will understand why this was the hardest thing I ever had to do!)

What brought this on? For me it was a hard smack of reality that struck me when I hung up from being on hold with my physician's office because I was stressed I was late for other items demanding my attention. Hear that loud smacking noise? That is me hitting my forehead saying "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???!!!" So, after a good cry, I had to admit that superwoman I was not (of course I'm not, I am Batgirl...) and that it was okay not to be superwoman.

So, this week I am taking some time to pause and to fully appreciate all that I have, all that I can do, and all the wonderful people in my life. I am going to learn how to use my new iphone, work in my yard, and spend time with my husband. I am going to swim and run and observe the flowers pushing their way through the soil. I am going to spend time with my girlfriends and I am going to handle all the paperwork/pre-op testing/phone calls needed before Good Friday. I am just going to be and that, that is okay.

1 comment:

Jane B. said...

You are still a superwoman! Setting priorities that are difficult, and then following through takes a super woman!
Love,
Mom