Monday, March 29, 2010

Breathing Lessons

Yes I understand that every life must end,..
As we sit alone, I know someday we must go,..
I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
The ones I love,..

Some folks just have one,
Others they got none,..

Pearl Jam - Just Breathe

My surgery date has been changed this week from Friday to Thursday. As I mentioned this fact to my trainer during my workout this morning, she did not miss a beat when she responded, "Great - one day closer to your recovery!". I realized yet again, what a fortunate person I am.

Now on the surface one may not think I am very lucky dealing with cancer issues for a 2nd time. However, referring to the Pearl Jam song above which resonates with me for the line about being able to count on both hands the ones that I love - I am able to say I use my toes too. I have amazing friends (special shout out to "the girls"; I cannot thank you enough for a wonderful weekend!); and incredible family that surrounds me as well as a man who stands by my side no matter what. Yes, I am lucky indeed.

So, I go into this week with a bit of fear and hesitation but I did have time this past week to step back and take a breath. I have said it before and will say it again; per the words of that wise Jedi Master Yoda - "There is no try, only do." (Yes, I am a geek!)I will have this surgery and I will be okay and whatever is, well, it will be and I am leaning to be okay with that.

No comments: