Monday, February 9, 2009

Escaping Reality





This past weekend marked our third year of attendance at the New York Comicbook Convention. While not quite as grand as the San Diego convention, New York gets better and bigger every year.

Last year the NYCC was in April. Greg and I went just after I had a slew of scans done in preparation for my surgery. We were still reeling from my cancer diagnosis and basically walked around too numb to absorb the sights and sounds around us.

This year we were both feeling really good and were able to fully enjoy the chaos and clash of cultures that make the Cons so much fun! We saw the requisite storm troopers as you can see by the photos above but we also saw so many great artists, it is mind boggling. We were able to attend a panel discussion led by Michael Uslan, executive producer of all the Batman movies since 1989. The panel was entitled "Living Legends" - and he had Jerry Robinson there. Who is Jerry Robinson you ask? Most of you know I both Greg and I share little passion for the Dark Knight - Jerry Robinson is the creator of the Joker, Batman's most evil arch nemesis. It was pretty incredible to hear him talk about the inspiration for the character. He came up with him while a student at Columbia doing comics on the side. No one could have ever imagined the icon the Joker would become as Jerry sketched him that night in his dorm room.

We had a really good time except for the fact that my car died in Port Authority. And then we had to wait 4 hours for a tow truck. Said tow truck then died in the middle of Route 3 in front of Giants Stadium. I then spent some time in the back of a police car waiting for my brother to come rescue us. It sure is not comfortable back there! I am not sure I'll ever see my car again. I think it is in Rutherford somewhere...

I have a scheduled trip to the oncologist next week and I am looking forward to talking to her about my anxieties over every test and the impact Tamoxifen is having on my sleeping habits. Otherwise I am waiting for my favorite day of the year to arrive - yes, the day we set the clocks forward - woo hoo!

No comments: