Monday, February 16, 2009

Presidents Day 2009

It's Presidents Day 2009 and all I can think about is President Obama's mantra of "Change" and "Yes We Can" and how I had to get used to those ideas in 2008 on a very personal level!

February is now more than half way over as time marches onward. Each day that goes by causes me to marvel at how quickly the body can forget a time when it was in pain.

I say this as I have been feeling really good. I can't believe that as recently as this past October I was still undergoing chemo, still had my port, still feeling just not myself. This past weekend I ran 12 miles with Jess. We did not go really fast but we finished and I felt fine. (Well, aside from the aching legs and feet that 12 miles will cause!)

I look at my hair and realize most folks think I am being "edgy" by sporting a platinum blonde pixie. In fact, most people would probably never guess that just a few months ago I was bald, thinner (oh yes, my appetite came back!), and unable to run.

I want to be able to let other women going through similar circumstance know that they too can get through the hard times and come out in the end themselves again - almost. I say almost because cancer treatment does change you; it is different for all but everyone I have talked to who has gone through has been impacted in some way. Normal physical exams can take on ominous undertones, dates have new significance: "let's see, 9 months ago I got my port", and the little things in life, like decorating cupcakes on Valentine's Day with one niece and nephews become so important.

Sure, being on tamoxifen has its own unique set of challenges but I am dealing with them as best I can. Hint: I have given up caffeine (yes, that was fun...) and it has seemed to help. So I plod onward, keeping my fingers crossed every time I have a scan, running when I can and looking forward to spring.

No comments: