Friday, April 18, 2008

4/17 Update

So - here is the deal: Surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday. I face a lumpectomy with chemo and radiation. I'll be going to NYU Medical Center. Not sure if I will keep my newly blonded hair or not but I will let you know. We (my surgeon, Greg and my mom) decided to go ahead with surgery without receiving my BRAC test results. I think my doctor was a bit taken aback when he was talking about tamoxifen and I asked if he did cheek swab to determine if I would metabolize it correctly or not - sometimes working at Medco does pay off! However, I knew I had the right guy today when he survived my interrogation by my mother! I can always have everything (both breasts and my ovaries) removed at a later date if necessary but general consensus seems to be this will just be a "blip" in my life and then I will get on with it - although I cannot run for 10 days so my Lehigh run will have to wait.

My diagnosis is not a secret, please feel free to share - I hope that all my female friends will get their mammograms and also pass along my experience - if even one person is is detected early and saved my story is worth telling!!!

Also, I wanted to let you know that my friend and co-worker Shannon will be walking in my honor on May 3rd in the Revlon Run/Walk for Women.
https://www.revlonrunwalk.com/ny/secure/mywebpage.cfm?pid=414547
After all the years I have been a walker or runner I never imagined that someone would be walking for me! Please consider supporting Shannon in her walk - her team sponsor, Linens and Things, will match her fundraising efforts dollar for dollar. Also - for my female friends (and to my male friends, tell your partners!)- get your mammograms! Thankfully technology is so advanced that we have been told my cancer has been (hopefully) caught early. Self exams are a good thing as well but please be vigilant with your preventive screenings too!

I just have to say to all of you - thank you!!!! Many of you of supported me in the past when I did breast caner runs/walks and I have to say I can now truly appreciate their full impact. Also, I have to say that the outpouring of support I have received has been overwhelming and for this I thank all of you. Without you to talk to, cry to, yell at, etc - I could never get through this. I have never been someone be shy about expressing what life has throw my way but I cannot even articulate my emotions in response to the feedback have been given when explaining my situation. While it is scary how many of you have a close friend or family member going though similar or worse, everyone's willingness to help has brought me to tears - you are all so wonderful. I do not discount the power of prayer or positive thoughts so keep it coming! And if you see me in a pink wig, get ready to boogie down as the best is yet to come!!!

Look out Britney!

No comments: