Tuesday, April 15, 2008

4/14 Update

Step one after dealing with the fact that you actually really have breast cancer (...are they sure that was my lab test??!!!....)- find a surgeon.

Mission accomplished. I 'll be using Dr. Richard Shapiro at NYU Medical Center. Both Greg and I liked him a lot. His credentials are impeccable and he had a more positive approach than either of the other two surgeons I previously consulted with. Of course he will wait until he has all results but he said he thinks I am a candidate for lumpectomy followed by careful monitoring. Of course he will wait until I have the BRAC results back. And Erin - he mentioned the Oncotype Dx test as long as my lymph nodes are clear.

So, now I get to be poked, prodded, as well as scanned and hopefully I'll only face an outpatient based lumpectomy followed by the joyous experience of chemo and radiation. I'll take it over losing a body part - so much for Greg's Pam Anderson fantasies!

Talk to you all soon - thanks for the continued support!

No comments: