Sunday, July 18, 2010

Real World

nor·mal   /ˈnɔrməl/ Show Spelled[nawr-muhl] Show IPA

–adjective
1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
2. serving to establish a standard.
3. Psychology .
a. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
b. free from any mental disorder; sane.
4. Biology, Medicine/Medical .
a. free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.
b. of natural occurrence.
 
As crazy as it may seem, tomorrow marks my return to the real world - aka back to work!  I feel great and the past three weeks of inpatient hospital stays, lounging on Cape Cod and watching the last touches being added to my new kitchen seem incredibly surreal.
 
Thankfully my results from surgery were all good.  No need for further treatment.  I have already experienced the lovely time of life called menopause due to chemotherapy so no big surprises there.  I do experience occasional twinges and I still tire easily but I cannot wait to hit the pool this Thursday and, the good lord willing, I'll be participating in the inaugural Pass It Along Triathlon on July31st at Lake Mohawk.
 
I am once again incredibly indebted to my friends and family.  My parents and my in-laws were the best - providing places to rest, relax, and recharge after my surgery.  My thanks and love cannot be put into written word.  My friends have once again restored my faith in the human race:  I received cards, calls, books, flowers, etc. - so many folks sending words and prayers - how could I not beat this monster?  And of course - I owe most of my well being to my husband.  Who else could stand by me as I fought with nurses to remove my catheter and demanded to be discharged?  Oh boy, you have got to love general anesthesia!
 
Speaking of friends, I have to comment once again about the technology of the 21st century.  I have been so blessed to reconnect with so many people.  This time it was my pal Allie from good ol' BHS with whom I met for dinner and cannot wait to see again.  I hate to admit it but Facebook does have its redeeming qualities!  Speaking of which did I mention my 25th high school reunion is coming up?  Yessiree folks, that is 25 years....  I watched "Hot Tub Time Machine" with my Dad and his wife while I was on the Cape and laughed out loud until I realized that the 80's had become comical! 
 
I hope to return to training this week.  My next doctor appointment is the 26th.  I hope to hear I am healing well!  I can still feel those stitches!

No comments: