Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Paddles Up!



Team SOS hit the water last night - our first practice for the 2010 season. The turn out was great; we even had a 2nd boat on the water. It was great to see so many women from last year - and to see them strong and healthy. SOS - "Save Our Sisters" is my dragonboat team and many of my teammates are cancer survivors. I have to say there is nothing quite like being in a boat full of women paddling silently (as Coach Eleen yells at us...) on a perfect spring evening; these women have been to the dark side and back - they get it.

The women on my team understand what is going on in my head as I await Wednesday's consultation with my doctor. These women know the fear, the feeling of helplessness, the agony of waiting. These women also know strength, courage, the importance of friends, family and an optimistic viewpoint. Sisters? Yes, I am proud to to call these women sister. I enjoy being part of a team and hearing the splash of 20 paddles hitting the water as the boat lifts and speeds along the water's top. I look forward to our races and hope to participate in as many as possible.

We are always happy to welcome new paddlers, so anyone with interest, let me know. I am hoping for gold in our races this year but as I left practice last night I thought to myself, "...you have already won - you are here tonight able to hit the water and feel the wind in you hair - no matter what Wednesday may bring, remember this moment." So, I hold on to the feeling of flying across the water as I await Wednesday's verdict and I hope for the best. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed, I head into the week...

No comments: