Sunday, April 18, 2010

739 Days


With all the excitement occurring in my life these days: the whole health issue thing, a kitchen renovation, training for my first tri, the launch of my youngest brother Nick's first Facebook game,"Dumbville", the bear family taking up residence in our backyard, watching the volcano in Iceland and wondering how it may impact our upcoming trip overseas, the arrival of spring, planning for the Reach the Beach Relay, cheering on my cousin Lisa who is running the Boston Marathon tomorrow and my sister in-law's brother Andrew who is running his first half today, deciding how to honor Mother Earth this coming April 22nd, congratulating my cousin Michael on his completion of his Boston U. degree (how did I get this old?), looking forward to the summer shows of U2, Bon Jovi (yes, Jersey girl I am!), and the Dave Matthews Band not to mention the farewell a-ha show (and I bet you did not even realize they were still around!) - add in my job, seeing my family and spending time with my husband... is it any wonder that the 2 year anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis and the launch of this blog passed by without a mention?

I was always told that days would begin to fly by even faster the older I got. Of course this was typically wisdom imparted to me during school break when I was running along the beaches of Cape Cod, spending long afternoons with my friends, or catching fireflies on a warm summer evening and I would inevitably scoff, "Whatever!", and continue running, hanging out, or pursuing the hunt. How true these words ring today.

I have learned to be more observant of the wonders of the world around me. I try my best to take time to reflect on the daily gifts I am given. Every evening I do my best to list in my head at least five things that occurred during my day that I am thankful for. And there are times, like this lovely Sunday morning, when I sit back and think that all this "navel gazing" is only causing me to see how quickly life changes and passes by. I begin to question why all that has occurred during the past two years - why has happened to me? I feel all of my 42 years and try to figure out the grand plan.

And then, I lace up my sneakers and head out to meet my brother for a long run around town. My shuffle has my favorite songs although since I have a running partner I may not even switch it on. The trees have new leaves and tulips are everywhere in a riot of reds, yellows, pinks and oranges. I remember that I get to run today. I get to appreciate the blue sky, the spring air, a chunk of time with my brother where we can talk about any and everything; I get to tackle that hill, to feel my calves ache and my lungs burn. It is another beautiful day I get to enjoy it - how lucky I am.

1 comment:

mary rose rode said...

We are lucky to have YOU, Jane. Your words, your strength, your wisdom, YOU..... you are so inspiring & so humbling to me. When we were children, I loved spending time with you. I loved going to your house, laughing and I STILL wonder if that house is haunted!! LOL ~ As adults with busy lives & reconnecting on FB, you again make me smile & look at life so differently. You make me take a deep breath ~ appreciate more. You are always in my prayers, Jane. Thank you for YOU