Friday, January 22, 2010

Breathing Lessons

Winter on Cape Cod


www.jchildebrandt.blogspot.com - I have yet to figure out how to best handle my blog updates on Facebook. Any insight from anyone out there? Please let me know!

2010 has certainly started off in an interesting way. The events unfolding in my personal life as well as across the world (A Republican elected in Massachusetts???!!!) have made me sit back and make sure my seat belt is fastened - I think 2010 may be one hell of a ride!

I have started to swim in the morning at my gym's pool. It is very "zen" experience as most times it is only me and the life guard and only the pool lights are on. I can have any lane I want and splash to my heart's content. It has made me very cognizant of my breath and how I need to do learn to breathe in a way that will aid me in my quest to stay afloat. Sure, I can swim not to drown, but to really swim, as you most likely know, you need to figure out a way to propel yourself forward while in the water completely and turn to grab a mouthful of air. I cringe when I think of how I must look when attempting this. I have even been scouring the internet for pointers on doing breathing exercises.

Funny isn't it that one might need to practice the one thing we all do upon entering this world? I am carrying it forward to other areas of my life - upon hearing test results did not come back exactly as I had hoped - deep breath, count to 10 , exhale... while running - breathe, breathe, breathe and soon this hill will be behind me!, as well as facing those things that cause me stress - losing a loved one, something not going as planned at my place of employment - breathe, inhale, exhale, go in the bathroom if you need to cry...

So many things to look forward to this year: parties, birthdays, graduations, travel, family gatherings, as well as races (both running and rowing) galore. I figure I'll be okay as long as I can remember to breathe.

No comments: