Sunday, January 24, 2010

Answer re: Port Pain Question

This post is a response to the question from Anonymous in regard to port pain. Basically my port seemed to always bother me. Mine was in my right chest wall, just below my collarbone. It healed nicely and worked very well as I never had to worry about having issue with my veins while undergoing chemo. I had one friend who ended up receiving treatment through her feet as her veins were so shot from the medications.

Know that pinching a bit is normal. I had one episode where I convinced myself the wire had disconnected from the port it seemed to pinch so often, that I ran to my doctor and demanded an X-ray. Thankfully they believed in better safe than sorry and I was rewarded with the peace of mind knowing my port did not move at all. You know your body better than anyone. If it feels consistently uncomfortable, mention it to your doctor. I focused on the fact that my port was a weapon in the arsenal I was using to attack my cancer. I did not like it, it was summer and every nice tank I wore displayed it prominently. My bra straps rubbed against it. I could not lay on that side at night when trying to sleep. However, when my port was removed it left me with a scar that allows my to conjure the greatest stories about its origin to tell those who do not know my history.

Stay positive, stay strong, and focus on the good things - this bad stuff is just a way of reminding you how tough you really are. And if this comment was from my friend who shares a birthday month with me - I have been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

No comments: