Saturday, November 6, 2010

Back in the swim of things

In a sport that's ruled by the clock, freeing myself from the minutes and seconds that define success was liberating. I was now free to run when I wanted, without the gnawing obligation that comes with a competitive pursuit. I no longer have an interest in running "against" anyone. Rather, I'm often looking for someone to run "with," and it's the camaraderie, rhythm and ritual that continue to hold my interest. - Tom Ratcliffe, "Running Past the Finish Line," Running Times, December 2010


Tomorrow I'll be a spectator for the race many call "THE RACE" - the 2010 ING NYC Marathon.  I completed the 2010 Marine Corps marathon last week along with my brother and friend Jess.  I figure I need to pay it forward; having someone yelling words of encouragement to me at about mile 22 was extremely helpful, I'll gladly return the favor.
 
After 26.2 last week, this week I held off from running until Thursday.  Yesterday I hit the pool at my gym.  I had not been swimming since my last triathlon.  I was alone, the water was warm and it felt great.  I realized I missed the joy of gliding through the water and will make sure to hit the pool at least once a week. 
 
Life has been busy; training for the aforementioned marathon of course is time consuming and as always our house is a work in progress.  We are in the midst of putting in new ceilings in our family room downstairs.  Oh yes - it is about as fun as it sounds!
 
Now that November has arrived, there is much to look forward to - the holidays, my birthday and the BHS field hockey alumni game!  This November also marks my 2nd anniversary of finishing treatment and starting Tamoxifen.  Only three more to go...November also means daylight savings time, raking leaves, and did I mention raking leaves?  I best get out there!!!
 
Good luck to all NYC Marathon runners and a special shout out to  my cousin Kristen who will be running her first marathon up in NH tomorrow - 26.2!!!  Go get those bragging rights!!!

No comments: