Sunday, October 17, 2010

Acorns Everywhere

Ah Autumn is upon us:  pumpkins and colorful mums abound; Halloween stores have popped up in practically every vacant commercial space, it is still dark when I get up to run in the morning, and the acorns are falling.  Everywhere.  No exaggeration - the Newark Star Ledger even included a piece about the proliferation of acorns fall 2010 has brought and the positive side of their increased numbers. (They aid in reforestation efforts; who knew?)

October is half way over and the stores near us have begun pushing holiday merchandise in earnest.  Only two more weeks of "pink power" remain for which I am thankful. I am saying this even though I will always remember the significance of October in my treatment two years ago as the month within which I finished chemo, I admit I am suffering pink fatigue.  I have been posting a daily "pink item" on my Facebook page and believe me, there is no lack of things to post.

I had the honor this past week of attending a lecture by Dr. Susan Love - one of the leaders of breast cancer research and the creator of the Army of Women.  The Army of Women was created to bring together one million people, men, women, cancer survivors, etc. into a pool that researchers can access virally and quickly to conduct studies that in the past may have taken five years just to complete a co-hort to test.  Yes, the Internet is not all for evil!  If you have not joined, please consider doing so - you do not need to do anything except review the studies that are e-mailed to you.  You may or may not fit the profile of the type of participant needed but you might just know someone who does.  Dr. Love is not out to cure breast cancer; she wants to find its cause so we can stop it and no longer need to search for a cure.  Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing?  Check it out and please become one in million!  http://www.armyofwomen.org/

No comments: