Monday, May 10, 2010


Tacoma 10/31/95 - 5/7/10


When you are sorrowful look into your heart and you shall see that you are weeping for that which has been your delight. ~ Khalil Gibran

It has been a rough three days. Our beautiful Malamute Tacoma has been freed from suffering but ours started when hers ended. Thankfully we have incredible friends and family, many who know how hard it is to let go of a beloved pet.

Our wonderful neighbors hosted a Friday evening get together where we toasted Tacoma's life with Dom Perignon and regaled each other with humorous stories which is exactly what our aching hearts needed.

Saturday as I lay on the couch with puffy eyes watching the 2009 Ironman in Kona and the stories of so many who overcame so much to get there, I realized I should get outside and enjoy the blustery day. I decided to take a walk and lost in my thoughts, I was outside for 2 1/2 hours. I spent the evening watching DVDs of films I figured Greg did not want to see (he had joined friends for dinner) and retired early.

We celebrated Mother's Day yesterday with our moms after I had completed a 10 1/2 mile run with my brother. (Nothing to snap you out of grief like a jaunt around the hills of Kinnelon!) Upon my return from my run I found Greg looking sad and he admitted it was "hard to be home alone". I then told him, although I had thought better of it, that twice Saturday evening while watching my movies I could have sworn I heard Tacoma, her nails clicking on our pine plank floors - so much so that I even got up to look for her. He admitted the same thing, thinking he heard her soft whine (which is what she did when she wanted attention). We noted however that we were able to have this conversation without tears, a big step forward in our healing process.

With Monday now arrived we start a new week and hope with each passing day the sorrow surrounding us will dissipate a bit more. We have much to look forward to this summer. One day at a time...

No comments: