Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Little Scare

Not sure if any "scare" should be classified as little, but for now that is how I need to think about the latest in my seemingly never-ending saga of dealing with breast cancer.

I had a visit with my surgeon, Dr. Shapiro this week. For the past two weeks, I have been experiencing pain and discomfort in the side of my chest that I had my cancer in. So much so that sometimes it interrupts my sleep if I happen to roll onto my left side. I originally chalked it up to my weight training plus amped up running mileage; (Marathon training has begun!) but it started to freak me out. Plus, I could swear I felt something there - something other than the scar tissue created from my lumpectomy. So off to NYC and the NYU Cancer Center Greg and I went.

Dr. Shapiro examined me and did admit I felt "lumpy" - how's that to start a girl's day? He did say he did not think it was a "horrible lumpy" but maybe just cystic tissue. He asked about my exercise regime and advised me to scheduled time with him once my sonogram and mammogram are completed on the 26th.

So I left somewhat conflicted: Should I be upset and worry until the 26th OR do I place my faith, as I have in past, on my surgeon and realize that if he thought there was something bad going on he would have had me scanned immediately? What to do, what to do. I am trying to go with the latter and keep on trucking through life until I can no longer. Some days it easy, others - not so much. Once again I thank my friends and family for rallying around me and checking in, my mom for the beautiful flowers and my husband for his unending patience and positive outlook. I have said it a million times and will probably say it another billion times more but, "this too shall pass."

1 comment:

jeanie said...

Hi Jane Clare,
so nice to catch up with what's been going on in your life this summre '09. Sorry you weren't feeling well last time I saw you at Aunt Lorna's, but always nice to see you!!!! pictures are beautiful, wedding, lighthouse, Intrepid, etc. continue to keep that smile bright! Much Love & Many Prayers Always, Jeanie