Sunday, June 20, 2010

Superheros Among Us


Most folks know it to be a fact that I am somewhat of  fan when it comes to superheros.  Okay, so maybe "somewhat" downplays my fanatical obsession with all things Batman, but I am really referring to all superheros.  During my crazy week, I became aware that they really do exist and that they actually walk among us.

It was a typically overbooked "let me do every last thing I can before surgery" whirlwind week .  Greg and I spent last weekend out of the country - yes, we were in Peterborough Canada for the 2010 International Breast Cancer Survivor Dragonboat Races.  Team SOS joined forces with the Machestic Dragons from Princeton and paddled four races.  The town of Peterborough was awash in pink and the folks there were extremely gracious hosts.  We had a very good time! We met women from all of the world, all of whom had breast cancer, many still going through treatment and sporting the all too familiar bandana/hat/wig over their now bald head.  As I looked around and reflected, I realized the strength of the power this gathering had.  I knew then I was witnessing true superheros walking next to me, paddling beside me, laughing and dancing with me.  CANCER?  Been there, done that honey!

On our journey home, we were able to make a short stop in Cortland NY where we had lunch with my friend David.  I met David at BU and had not seen him in about, oh, 20 years... it was so wonderful to be able to just sit and talk as if I had just seen him yesterday. David himself has been facing a major health crisis but by speaking with him and seeing him, one would never know.  He spoke about his profession of choice with pride: working with kids who have been in placement to get reunited with their families and integrated back into their home.  As we drove south on Route 81 I realized I had just interacted with another superhero - he had sat right across from me!

We returned home to a whirlwind of activity - our new cabinets have been installed and look beautiful.  I had my pre-admission testing after which Greg and I had a wonderful dinner with Peter (another BU "re-connect")  and Caleb (the meeting of the husbands!) an then settled down at MSG to be amazed by James Taylor and Carole King - what a great show! 

I capped the week of with one amazing Saturday:  at 7:10am I started off on my 1/2 mile swim for the Franklin Lakes/Wyckoff triathlon.  2hours 36 minutes, 17 cycled miles and 5 miles ran - I was done. Triathlon complete.  Being handed that medal was pretty amazing.  However later that day I was handed another medal - one that was just as amazing to me - I received a survivor medal from the American Cancer Society at the Relay for Life.  It was overwhelming to me to see how many in the area have been affected by cancer.  It was even more overwhelming when I looked around at the survivors standing with me how many were just kids.  Suddenly that triathlete title did not mean much.  I thought about how it must be to go through your teen years bald from chemo and too weak to participate in the normal frenetic pace of life most teens seem to.  I was looking at some of the strongest kids I would ever know.  True superheros.

I ended the evening attending a "Shop for the Cure" event that my friend Linda (we met via the Army of Women) had coordinated.  It was incredible - she brought so many vendors together all whom agreed to give her a percentage of their sales from the evening towards her fundraising campaign for the Avon 3day breast cancer awareness walk.  Again, I was humbled.  Another superhero was in my presence. I think I need to start handing out capes...

No comments: